Adjectives on the Typewriter

she moves her words like a prizefighter

06 April 2005

This is what busywork does to me:

I so want to go deeper into philosophy, but we've only just started the Sophists and the Socratics so I don't quite feel comfortable writing about them. I might make a fool out of myself. It's highly likely. In class we've been discussing some eastern philosophy- Taoism, Vedism, Confucianism, etc. But I know so little about these that I really can't say much about them. They've got their problems, of course, but eastern philosophy is so...unlinear that it's difficult to evaluate or refute. So I'll leave those alone.

Anyroad, we've got dicussion groups on Friday, so perhaps I will develop a better understanding of the material then. Sorry for the lack of intellect today
.

8 Comments:

Blogger Mirlandra said...

If you are interested in writing (which from your blog it would appear you are *smile*) I might sugest that you read Peter Elbow's book "Writing Without Teachers." It a wonderfully encouraging book to spend some time with when you cannot make your words behave as you wish them to. Happy Blogging!

April 6, 2005 at 9:39 PM  
Blogger em²ile² said...

Thanks for the suggestion! I will have to look for that. Keep up the writing. I ought to post some of my papers for feedback...

April 7, 2005 at 1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have any reccomendations (other than peer/ author review) for clear fictional writing? I need a book for that.
-T.N.O.

April 14, 2005 at 8:57 AM  
Blogger em²ile² said...

No- as I've never written any fiction myself, I wouldn't know. I'm not sure there's a book like that.

April 14, 2005 at 12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still find it odd that there are so many books on reading, some on writing non-fiction, but so precious few on writing fiction.
-T.N.O.

April 14, 2005 at 12:15 PM  
Blogger em²ile² said...

Odd indeed. Perhaps it's because writing fiction is so unscientific- there's little method involved.

April 17, 2005 at 6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a science to everything, just as there is a similarity between all masterpieces of fiction. The difficulty is that no-one has made a science of the similarity. And I'm not going to be the one to start!
-T.N.O.

May 27, 2005 at 10:22 AM  
Blogger em²ile² said...

And why not?!?

June 2, 2005 at 1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home