Adjectives on the Typewriter

she moves her words like a prizefighter

19 April 2005

God chooses war as an instrument of His judgments

Here are some thoughts from http://bibleskool.russlipton.com/ that I found relevant to the recent discussion on Islam and Christianity:

"God called for the conquest of Canaan by His people
(Deut. 20:16-18) and directed a number of the battles there in detail and personally (Josh. 6:1-5). The same was true later, especially during the reign of King David (II Sam. 5:19-25).

More soberly, God initiated wars and battles against His beloved people when they also deserved judgment. Israel was given over to Nebuchadnezzar by God Himself
(Jer. 21:1-7).

This was not just an 'Old Testament' affair. The Lord Jesus prophesied the total destruction of the Temple
(Matt. 24:1-2) and interpreted it as something that would come directly from God's hand in punishment (Matt. 23:32-36). The Romans executed divine judgment in 70 A.D.

We may be certain that God has called for a series of entirely justified wars throughout history. They have not occurred merely because He permitted them. He planned them
(I Kings 22:14-23). He also mercifully set boundaries to them (Jer. 25:12-13). When those who were His instruments became arrogant (as though they, not God, had pulled the strings), they too were punished.

Unlike demonic principalities and powers (the Greek 'gods' come to mind), the Lord does not take pleasure in the shedding of blood. At the same time, He experiences no need to answer to man for His judgments. Though 21st century man find it repugnant, scripture speaks of the God of love as a God whose wrath is consistent with His love
(Rev. 11:15-18).

Sin ought not to have been. Death ought not to have been. Man chose (and chooses) sin and death. War is death's most exquisite expression. God makes use of war to accomplish His eternal purpose when fitting.

At the very end, the Lamb of God will Himself wage war
(Rev. 19:11-21). You can count on it: that war will be justified."

6 Comments:

Blogger marrie said...

Thank you so much for your comments on my blog. You give great feedback. I appreciate your blog, I find myself caught up in the busy work of being a mother and a wife and starving for intellectual stimuli, and your blog is delicious food for thought. I find myself having to dust off the cobwebs in my mind to consider the things you are writing about, and while that doesn't make me feel like the smartest person in the world, it still feels good to really think again.

April 20, 2005 at 1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

April 20, 2005 at 8:56 PM  
Blogger em²ile² said...

Anonymous, care to explain yourself? I really can't hold an honest discussion/debate with someone who fails to present any arguments.

April 21, 2005 at 9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

People swear because they don't have a big enough vocabulary to think of another word that would emphasize what they want to emphasize, that isn't offensive.

April 21, 2005 at 2:11 PM  
Blogger em²ile² said...

Agh! I knew someone was going to ask that... Allow me to clarify: I did not delete anonymous' comment because it questioned/contradicted what I said. I like when people challenge my views because it forces me to excercise my mental capabilities. Dialectic is a very good thing. But, I don't particularly like a certain word used in the post, and other readers found it offensive as well. The only option I have is to delete the whole post- I can't edit it (unfortunately). So to summarize, Anonymous said my post was ridiculous, though he/she also inserted a not-so-savory adjective in as well. Satisfied scottie b?

April 22, 2005 at 8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is the timespan really a length in which God is bound? I mean, He doesn't change. So, if He can wage war then, He can wage it now.

April 22, 2005 at 9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home