Adjectives on the Typewriter

she moves her words like a prizefighter

25 April 2005

Finally some Christian philosophy!

Today in class we covered Augustine and the professor, though always "fair," did a particularly good job of both explanation and advocacy. Wonders never cease! Like I said, this prof. is very good at supporting any philosophical perspective, but I still half-expected him to snub Augustine a bit in typical university style.

After lecturing on Augustine's synthesis of Plato and Paul, pronouncing the philosopher's name AU-gus-tine the whole while, the professor asked a few people what they thought of the theologian/philosopher's work. And the general concensus was that regardless of how much "sense" Augustine had, or how logical his arguments are, they still aren't worth accepting. The reason? As given by my fellow students, because Augustine is too religious sounding.

Having read so much about Plato's concept of ignorance, I find it astounding that my classmates can so reject any philosopher just because they aren't religious. I mean, we hear so much about ideology and discrimination in the Christian worldview, but in truth it's the Christians who are "discriminated against." How someone can openly acknowledge an argument is true and yet still refuse to accept it is beyond me... Honestly what kind of intellectual integrity is that?

And it's still Au-GUS-tine.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

Sad isn't it?

Truly human nature is a curious thing. We think that we are unbiased, but I don't really think it is possible. Personally, I am not unbiased, and don't mind it...I've got a great Book to lean on.

April 26, 2005 at 4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yet Augustine's theology is not perfect. We still have to remember that a lot of these human philosophers look for sound logic... and seem upset when they never find it. Then again, look at the public school systems...
-T.N.O.

May 23, 2005 at 10:42 AM  
Blogger em²ile² said...

Obviously, he's human too. But what (specific) errors are you talking about in Augustine's philosophy? And what does Augustine have to do with the public school system (of which, I might add, you are a part)?

May 23, 2005 at 12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Tell you later, and
2. He doesn't.
-T.N.O.

May 24, 2005 at 8:51 AM  
Blogger em²ile² said...

Now's a good time...

May 27, 2005 at 10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't say that I am too familiar with Augustine's philosophy. I was referring to his theology, when he made the amilennial view of eschatology. You must remember that he was paid by the government, so he could lose a job by saying that Jesus would return and put an end to the rule of tyrants. Otherwise, if I remember correctly, his theology is relatively sound.
-T.N.O.

June 2, 2005 at 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home